Subject: RE: Kernel boot 'inappropriate file type' -Wierd but THANKS!
To: Julian C. Dunn <jdunn@aquezada.com>
From: None <UberTechnoid@Home.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/13/2001 18:38:35
That was just the hint I needed.

One thing not implicit in the Makefile is that you MUST DESTROY your
existing kernel via renaming it to "/onetbsd" and then let 'make install'
destroy that file or by rm'ing it before beginning execution of the
makefile.  Else the inode the file must start on will not be free and the
bootloader will barf.

Jeez.  This is a dangerous way to test a new kernel...  No going back
without a utility boot disk.

Well, my new kernel is up and running and I have stopped beating my head
against the monitor.

Now that I know how to build and install a kernel, anyone have any
suggestions as to what I should do with that knowlege?

Regards and thanks again,

Jeff

Jeffrey S. Worley
Asheville, NC USA