Subject: New Kernel gives "inappropriate file type...."
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: None <UberTechnoid@Home.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/13/2001 16:44:31
I've been running NetBSD sparc on my Sun4 Sparcstation 4/330 for a couple
of years off and on without trouble.  Course the Miniroot is broken but
the Floppy.fs still works for install boot.

I decided to compile a custom kernel for the first time.  I am confident
that I selected the correct options and that the kernel compiled correctly
and should work.

After compilation I renamed my generic netbsd to netbsd.old and copied my
new netbsd kernel to /.

When I boot it gives be a booting netbsd message then says that the file
type is inappropriate etc.

As a test I made a CP copy of my netBSD.old kernel and tried to boot it.
I get the same error.  If I MV my netbsd.old kernel to netbsd and boot it
works fine. If I "b sd(0,0,0)netbsd.old it also works fine.

My conclusion is that there is some attribute the original kernel has in
the filesystem which enables it to load and which my new kernel lacks.  I
compared my renamed original netbsd kernel with the one I renamed and they
compare identically.

The only difference between the files is visible in my FileRunner progam's
directory listing.  The only copy of a kernel that works (netbsd.old) has
a different seven digit number next to it than does my recompiled kernel
or the copy of the netbsd.old kernel.  I do not know what utility to use
to change this number.  CHMOD and CHOWN don't seem to have anything to do
with it.

Please gimme a hit and tell be WTF?

Regards,

Jeff