Subject: (off-topic) Re: Sparcbook 3GX pcmcia cards
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Ben Cottrell <tamino@wolfhut.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/11/2001 12:35:07
Not NetBSD-related, just a thought on the usefulness of Sparcbooks...

I took the battery out of mine, so that it doesn't have to keep pumping
juice (= heat) into the battery to keep it charged... also, I keep it
opened, because the vents are covered by the screen when it's closed.

It's been running 24x7 like this for some time now, with no problems.
YMMV obviously.

I have mine running Solaris (shudder) because I'm using it as an
mp3 machine since NetBSD doesn't support the audio stuff unless you
get a separate sbus card.

Makes a great machine to run amp on, and doesn't make a lot of noise
so it's a good choice for the audio rack. The display is hooked up
to the television.

	~Ben