Subject: Re: floppy non functional on sparc10?
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Tomi Nylund <wizard@oulu.invalid>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/11/2001 21:04:40
David Brownlee wrote:

>         Sorry about the delay - only just managed to extract a non sparc10
>         box with floppy to test.
>
>         I've just booted a sparc 1+ with the same set of floppy disks that
>         did not work in a sparc10. I've also tried to access the floppy
>         drive on a sparc10 under NetBSD after installation without luck.
>
>         Could people with NetBSD running on a sparc10 with a floppy drive
>         see if they can access floppies? Just tar something to the device
>         and back again should be enough...
>
>         --
>                 David/absolute          -- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --
>
> On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, James Dzimba wrote:
>
> > NO unfortunately

We have seen this same problem on SS10, too. Trying to install 1.5.2
from
the floppies produced the same error messages reported on earlier mails.

We tried four different floppy drives and numerous floppies without
success.

This is what happened:

1) >boot floppy
2) prom loads the first floppy
3) installer asks for the second floppy
4) problems arise, when trying to read the floppy

eject from prom worked normally. When loading the installation tools
from
a cd-rom, all worked well.

I'm not able to check'em out now, but I can post version details if
needed
tomorrow.

Tomi