Subject: Re: Anyone using a sun4 vme currently with NetBSD?
To: Gerald Richter <glassman1@neonshadow.net>
From: Michael Thompson <m_thompson@ids.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/28/2001 12:52:42
At 07:13 AM 9/28/01 -0700, Gerald Richter wrote:
>> During the first two phases of the net boot it does not get a single DMA
>> underrun. It gets lots of DMA underruns when the kernel tries to mount the
>> root directory.
>

>Guess this means I need to bust out and rev my 4/110 back up for testing? :)
>
>(sorry, no goodies on this one... just a plain ol' 4/110 3-slot VME with a
>
>cgfour onboard)... Got a monitor I can hook it too and probably a
>
>mouse/keyboard if I can find the right cable... (if not i'll just have to
>
>source one off of ebay... or a serial term..)

I have 4/100, 4/200, 4/300, 4/400, and 4/600 CPUs. I will see if any of
them behave.

>It's got like 16mb ram as I haven't talked it into any more (something
>about wanting parity stuff that I don't have.) No drives, I think I
>burned the scsi bus trying some newer Maxtor scsi's on it (blew a fuse?
>I haven't looked to close at it... just kinda stuffed it in a closet
>when I picked up a IPC to play with...)
>
>Now that's a board design idea - a 1 slot VME card that could have a
>couple like 3.5" scsi HDDs mounted to it before it's inserted into the
>slot...

You could probably bolt a 3 1/2" disk the 6U-to-9U SCSI adapter.  Run a
SCSI cable directly to the drive and solder drive power cables on to the
VME J1 connector. Sounds like a plan...

Michael Thompson
E-Mail: M_Thompson@IDS.net