Subject: Re: Anyone using a sun4 vme currently with NetBSD?
To: Gerald Richter <glassman1@neonshadow.net>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/28/2001 10:55:53
> Guess this means I need to bust out and rev my 4/110 back up for testing? :)
> (sorry, no goodies on this one... just a plain ol' 4/110 3-slot VME with a
> cgfour onboard)... Got a monitor I can hook it too and probably a
> mouse/keyboard if I can find the right cable... (if not i'll just have to
> source one off of ebay... or a serial term..)

I would be curious to see how yours does.

> It's got like 16mb ram as I haven't talked it into any more (something
> about wanting parity stuff that I don't have.) No drives, I think I
> burned the scsi bus trying some newer Maxtor scsi's on it (blew a fuse?
> I haven't looked to close at it... just kinda stuffed it in a closet
> when I picked up a IPC to play with...)

I did that one time, too... with a tape drive that put power on the bus.
Drat...

> Now that's a board design idea - a 1 slot VME card that could have a
> couple like 3.5" scsi HDDs mounted to it before it's inserted into the
> slot...

Wasn't there a 3.5 inch space on the 3/60 motherboard, complete with
the dip header solder pads?

I have been thinking of taking one of the metal air ducting slides and
mounting up a set of 3.5 inch drives on that, with a short cable to
the scsi out.

Bob