Subject: Re: external CDROM drive suggestions
To: None <rmk@rmkhome.com>
From: Grant Beattie <grant@grunta.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/27/2001 14:48:53
On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 10:07:35PM -0600, Rick Kelly wrote:

> My one external Sun CDROM drive is an ancient drive that uses caddys. It has
> some problems with disks written on CDR/CDRW drives, so I would like to
> replace it with something a little newer.
>
> Who is a good vendor for external, Sun bootable CDROM drives?

I can highly recommend Sony cdrom/cdrw drives. Used a few of them on
ss5/u1 for booting and normal use quite happily, and they're reliable.

I'm sure there are other less expensive drives that will also work,
but I have no experience with any others apart from a Yamaha cdrw
which mysteriously started spitting out discs for no apparent reason -
it was out of warranty so I just didn't bother using it anymore.

g.