Subject: Re: Status of Javastation?
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/26/2001 17:58:52
On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 15:02:05 +0200, Paul Boven wrote:

> My Javastation is a Krups with OBP 3.11.10, but I guess this
> information would be interesting for other models as well.

Krups is not supported at all (yet.  I'm hacking it currently).

As far as Mr. Coffee is concerned:

> 1. Does the keyboard work?

The pckbc driver is MI and the attachment goo for pckbc at obio is not
a problem, but it requires a switch to wscons and no-one works on it
now, afaik.

> 2. Does audio work, e.g. can I run mpg123 on it?

Mr.Coffee - yes.  There's a MI driver for audio chip in Krups, so when
Krups is supported at all, the audio should work too.

> 3. Does it run X?

Mr.Coffee - yes, in "output only" mode ;), because kbd/mouse are not
supported yet.

> 4. Can I put the kernel/OS on the flash-prom?

Mmm, NetBSD uses two-stage boot process: firmware loads NetBSD boot
loader (a.out) than the boot loader loads the kernel (elf).

I think that it might be possible to boot the kernel directly from
flash simm.  It will require a.out'ifying the kernel, as firmware
doesn't understand elf.  I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble.

> (if there's a 'no' among these, what needs to be done to get this
> working?)

To get kbd/mouse/X11 support for Mr.Coffee - we need to switch sparc
port to wscons.  Since my mrcoffee is headless and is not going to
have a display for at least half an year, I can't work on it (well, I
do have a mrcoffee with a display at the office, but then I don't have
enough free time when I'm at the office ;).  Besides, at the moment
I'm more interested in getting Krups going.  On Krups the kernel can
boot and even do some sane things, but few critical bits are still
missing but being worked on.

SY, Uwe