Subject: Re: X11 netbsd/sparc on SparcStation Voyager
To: thorpej@wasabisystems.com, David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Pete Zaitcev <zaitcev@redhat.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/18/2001 18:41:00
> On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 06:54:27PM +0100, David Brownlee wrote:
>  > 	Is there any reasonable way for the kernel to detect this?
>
> You could quirk it based on the name of the openprom root node?
>
> --
>         -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>

No, it's a dumb idea, because 4800 baud mice can be plugged into
regular workstations. Solaris detects the baud rate automagically
by programming the port this way and that, then parsing
the result. You only need to jerk the mouse once after it
was plugged in.

It is easy to change the baud rate on some mice, and their
movement becomes noticeably smoother. Here's my note on that:
 http://people.redhat.com/zaitcev/notes/mouse4800.txt
Try it, you'll like it.

-- Pete