Subject: Re: Running a scanner off NetBSD sparc?
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/07/2001 11:16:38
On Fri, 7 Sep 2001, NetBSD Bob wrote:

> Anyone running a scanner off NetBSD sparc?  I have a chance to pick up
> a cheapie HP Scanjet IIp, and I would rather try running it off NetBSD
> than winblows.  I vaguely recall there was some software in the ports
> that might do this.  Any insights are appreciated.

yes.  I've been using a UMAX Astra 1220S scanner and an HP something
scanner on NetBSD/sparc-1.4 and 1.5.  Just make sure your scanner is
supported by the graphics/sane package.  You'll also probably want
graphics/gimp and graphics/xsane.

xsane is a very quick and simple graphical frontend to the scanner, gimp
can also suck in the data (using xsane as a plugin) and then you can edit
the scanned stuff.

You can also do some scanning from the command line which makes it easy to
write a 'scan to fax' script.

-Dan