Subject: re: dual-boot solaris/netbsd and vtoc/disklabel
To: salo <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/06/2001 02:40:20

   i am just testing dual-boot Solaris/NetBSD installation on SPARCstation 5.

   i first installed Solaris, i partitioned my disk with 'format' to slices, first
   one for Solaris, second for Solaris's swap, (third is whole disk), fourth and
   fifth i just created but left as unassigned. then i installed Solaris.

   after this i netbooted NetBSD, created disklabel in according to my previous
   Solaris vtoc: first and second slice i left unused, fourth as bsdroot and
   fifth as bsd swap.

   the problem i am fighting with is that NetBSD overwrites Solaris's vtoc with
   its disklabel and vice versa, so when i boot to Solaris again, disk is
   unlabelled. if i create new vtoc identical as first one, NetBSD will lose its
   disklabel..

   does any solution for this case exist?

you shouldn't need to use `disklabel' under netbsd at all.  however,
i'm not sure the install program in the 1.5 releases will let you do
this... i believe i only added that option after 1.5 branched.  you
could do a manual install from solaris.  see the web pages or the
INSTALL.txt document for details.

also, you can 'share' bsd & solaris swap, so don't bother burning an
extra partition for this...

.mrg.