Subject: Re: dual-boot solaris/netbsd and vtoc/disklabel
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: salo <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/05/2001 19:15:00
hi,

On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 02:40:20AM +1000, matthew green wrote:
> you shouldn't need to use `disklabel' under netbsd at all.  however,

and what about LFS? if i want to create LFS partition i have to edit
disklabel later manually..

> i'm not sure the install program in the 1.5 releases will let you do
> this... i believe i only added that option after 1.5 branched.  you
> could do a manual install from solaris.  see the web pages or the
> INSTALL.txt document for details.

i am installing NetBSD from 20010830 snapshot, what do you exactly mean by
"manual install from solaris"? do you mean installing miniroot.fs.gz?
is there any benefit of doing this? i am satisfied with my netboot, i am using
it for several other machines (fe. JavaStation, and using it for Solaris
JumpStart install too) and i have no problems with it and it is not anything
difficult or new for me so i really do not need to change way of installation
if the only reason why you mentioned this is only 'easier way to install'.

> also, you can 'share' bsd & solaris swap, so don't bother burning an
> extra partition for this...

thanks, i just figured it too. anyway, after rewriting vtoc from solaris, i
lose information about netbsd's swap.. swapctl returns: Device not configured.

regards,
   salo

--
--   salo <salo@Xtrmntr.org>         ASCII Ribbon campaign against   /"\   --