Subject: Re: SPARCclassic "AUI" pinout
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: Don Yuniskis <auryn@gci-net.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/04/2001 12:33:06
>  |      Does anyone know the pinout of the network connector
>  | on the classic (*not* the RJ45)?  Or, have a mating
>  | transceiver that can be examined to deduce same?
>
>The answer to that was just provided - but why would you want to know?

Sorry, the answer *I* recently received was incorrect.  As to why I would
want to know, for the same reason you would want to know the pinout
of *any* connector!!  :>

>Unless you're planning on building your own transceiver, the pinout of

Almost.  I want to hack a "conventional" transceiver to mate to the
classic's
UNconventional "AUI" connector.  I **know** the pinout of a DB15 AUI
connector (since I design network interfaces into the products I build!)
but don't know how to map those connectors to Sun's concept of what an
"AUI" should be (on the classic -- note the IPC uses a traditional AUI)

>that particular connector is basically useless.  AUI connector pinouts
>(as distinct from the mounting brackets) are one of the more precisely
>standardised interfaces around - any 10Mbit/sec transceiver ever made
>(for 10base5, 10bse2, 10baseT, 10baseFL - maybe others) will connect,
>directly, or via an AUI cable, to that connector - nothing else will,
>nor would it be sensible to try connecting anything else.

Sorry, but I know of at least three types of "standard" "AUI" connectors:
the "standard" DB15 AUI; Apple's AAUI connector (much smaller,
fewer pins) and the connector used on the Classic (much larger and
more pins).  E.g., I have a box full of Apple transceivers that sure as
hell won't plug into an IPC AUI or the Classic's "AUI"...  :>   (though,
with
a bit of info and a few minutes with a soldering iron, I expect to be
able to remedy that!)

HTH,
--don