Subject: Re: CG14 code
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/02/2001 16:42:03
> - the solaris sources might help to extend the existing free cg14
>   driver to support 24 bit?

Looking at the NetBSD driver, it appears to try to support 24bpp
already.  Does it not work?  ISTR someone saying that it seemed to work
for a test program that scribbled on the framebuffer, but didn't work
with X, whichi sounds to me like a working kernel driver and a broken X
server.

> - 24 bit X servers using these kernel drivers do already exist in
>   linux. What about vanilla X.org code?

X11R6.4pl3 builds an Xsun24 if you ask it to.  I don't have a 24bpp
framebuffer or I'd try it.  Xvfb runs in depth 24, and it seems to be
basically functional; I may poke at it and see if I can see if I can
fix the remaining glitches.  (It runs, but xwd -root | xwdtopnm
produces something that's effectively all black - somewhere along the
line, someone is ignoring the colormap.  I don't know whom.  Using Xvfb
-cc 4 gets me pictures, but red and blue get switched - my guess is,
it's a bug in xwdtopnm.)

I've got a pending X issue on my todo list (X on NetBSD/next68k), but
once that's out of the way, the only thing stopping me from doing this
will be a lack of suitable hardware (and yes, that's volunteering - if
I get my hands on the hardware).

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign