Subject: Re: CG14 code
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: David Myers <myers@veetwin.aedifice.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/30/2001 10:17:10
Erik E. Fair wrote:
> I suggest our goal should be in two steps:
>
> 1. get 24-bit mode working with X (proper cgeight emulation; dumb
> frame buffer).
>
> 2. get the SX accelerations working to speed it all up.

Just to jump in late on this discussion...

I cobbled together a driver for the Parallax 24-bit (dumb) framebuffer
a year or so ago.  I could map in the 4MB framebuffer, and my test
program could succesfully scribble to it.  XSun24, however, inverted
all of the colors in a particularly psychedlic way, and within a
minute or so would crash.  I don't claim to be the most competent
kernel programmer around, so it's possible I had a serious bug in my
driver, but my hunch is that there's some major problems
lurking inside of XSun24.

I'm not particularly competent at graphics programming, and had no
real desire to tackle an X server, so I left it at that.

-David.