Subject: Re: CG14 code
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/29/2001 00:35:28
> I think our best bet to get this working (and working well) is to pry
> the driver source code loose from Sun; the SX and the SS20 are way
> past EOL, and any proprietary value that code had has long since gone
> to zero,

I'd love to get my hands on anything similar for the cg6, if anyone is
going to be prying and thinks it wouldn't jeopardize the attempt.  Or
if anyone can tell me whom to pester....

> Thus, the source code to their X/whatever display server is the only
> documentation, aside from the ASIC/circuit diagrams themselves (and
> good luck reading that if you're not an EE with the right training -
> I'm definitely not!).

I'd take anything on the cg6, *not* excluding ASIC and circuit
diagrams.  I've figured out a good deal and have hit a wall trying to
deduce more - but have seen tantalizing hints that "more" exists.

> I suggest our goal should be in two steps:

> 1. get 24-bit mode working with X (proper cgeight emulation; dumb
> frame buffer).

> 2. get the SX accelerations working to speed it all up.

I'd have a stab at doing those, in the X Consortium server...except I
don't have a cg14. :-/

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign