Subject: Re: Install of 1.5.1 on a Sparc 20
To: Rick Hamell <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Don Yuniskis <auryn@gci-net.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/17/2001 21:22:10
> So I've upgraded from my old IPX to a Sparc 20... my problem is
>that I'm unfamiliar with setting up partitions. :( I have a 1.05 gig disk,
>and disklabel shows this
>
># size offset fstype [fsize bsize cpg/sgs]
>  c: 2052288      0 4.2BSD   1024   8192    16   # (Cyl. 0-2035)
>
>I've looked at the examples shown on the previous screen but can't figure
>out how the sizes correlate. (I remeber previously just using a visual
>editor and running the sizes in MB, but can't seem to get that option
>now.)

2052288 sectors of 512 bytes =>  1,050,771,456 bytes
(1002MB assuming M = 2^20)

Assuming this is the sole disk in your configuration, you'll create an
'a' partition mounted as "/" and probably a swap on 'b'.  Note that
'c' is already assigned by convention to represent the entire drive.

You will probably (?) find that attempts to define more partitions
beyond this report an error when you exit the partition editor.  I
think the default disk label assumes *3* partitions.  This will be
noted on the line immediately above the partition table that you
typed in.  Change the '3' to an '8', and you should be able to add
the extra partitions.  (I will be documenting this in a send-pr(1)
shortly).

Note that each partition must be a complete cylinder on SPARC.
So, consult your disk geometry to figure out EXACTLY how many
sectors per cylinder on your drive.  Convert this to MB (if you
prefer to think in those terms) and then use this as the basic
"unit" that you use in defining partition sizes.

HTH,
--don