Subject: RE: Can I Upgrade Remotely?
To: None <dorsey@lila.com>
From: Harald Barth <haba@pdc.kth.se>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/05/2001 11:22:34
>  Can I do this:

I have done something like that, but that was with 1.4.something. But the
procedure would still be valid.

> (1)  FTP the Sparc binary sets to the existing Solaris filesystem.

I'd ftp the sets later as part of the install procedure.

> (2)  Turn off swapping on the existing swap space (only about 100MB).
> (3)  Install bootblocks for NetBSD on the swap partition, along with a
>      generic kernel and just the core stuff I'll need for installation.
>      (how would I do this?)

ftp://ftp.NetBSD.ORG/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.5.1/sparc/INSTALL.html
 chapter Installing NetBSD by placing a bootable filesystem on a partitioned hard drive

> (4)  Halt Solaris.
> (5)  From the PROM monitor, boot the swap partition.
> (6)  Blow away everything in the Solaris filesystem except the Sparc
>      binary sets.

This step only would succeed it the sets are on another partition that
you can leave untouched. Therefore I'd take the sets from ftp. I don't
know if miniroot or sysinst would be the better script to do this.

The rest should be handled by the installation script. There are some
issues that I did not find in the installation document:

 * What can I do or can I not do when I'm running the installation.
   I know what to expect but others might be puzzled.
 * What kind of SCSI mapping is used in the kernel I get the first time. (*)

> (7)  Untar the Sparc binary sets into the correct places.
> (8)  Install boot blocks on the root filesystem.
> (9)  Reboot and enjoy a faster, more secure, more reliable machine...

Harald.