Subject: Re: DEC Multias or SS1+ & SS2?
To: NetBSD/sparc Discussion List <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/30/2001 11:54:10
On Mon, 30 Jul 2001, Greg A. Woods wrote:

# > That is indeed the idea. Anyway, who needs r* (except maybe rmt) in
# > the days of (open)ssh and GHz CPUs...
#
# Heh heh heh.....  :-)
#
# (rsh/rlogin do still have much cleaner flow control than even SSH-2,
# because of course there's no buffering for encryption or compression.
# Using SSH-2 makes me reminiscent of using high speed modems, especially
# the early MNP ones that didn't have options to flush their buffers when
# various interrupt characters were sent from the terminal....)

That, and using ssh/ssl to do anything other than a terminal session
is just dog-slow by comparison to open transfer.

# > |> (or use TCP Wrappers) on every single host on the inside.....
# >
# > I prefer xinetd, but the idea is the same.
#
# NetBSD includes TCP Wrappers built-in to the system inetd.  With all the
# bugs and even recent exploited security holes in xinetd I prefer the
# good old standard inetd.  :-)

Amen to that.

# 							Greg A. Woods

(Oh, wow!  I'm actually agreeing with this guy on something! ;-)

# +1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods@acm.org>     <woods@robohack.ca>
# Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>;   Secrets of the Weird <woods@weird.com>

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: true inheritors of the UNIX(tm) legacy.