Subject: Re: DEC Multias or SS1+ & SS2?
To: Volker Borchert <bt@insiders-fs.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/30/2001 12:24:58
[ On Monday, July 30, 2001 at 08:56:07 (+0000), Volker Borchert wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: DEC Multias or SS1+ & SS2?
>
> In message <20010727205947.1F69AE1@proven.weird.com> you write:

> Not new, of course.                                      ^^^^
>
> |> $75[usa] new?  Where!  ;-)
>
> $80 at www.twmaster.com
> $75 at www.compsyscon.com

Ah, of course.  Thanks!

I wonder why CompSysCon's X1053A (100base+SCSI-2-FAST) is $25 cheaper
than a plain X1059A.....

(good to see someone selling SS20 base units at a decent price! :-)

(too bad thw Weitek upgrade for my SS2 is still $45)

I doubt even an SS2 could handle being my router these days, though I'd
bet an SS20 with even an SM40 could do it.  Trouble is I'm soon going to
need more than 10baseT, at least for the LAN connection.  Sigh.

> That is indeed the idea. Anyway, who needs r* (except maybe rmt) in
> the days of (open)ssh and GHz CPUs...

Heh heh heh.....  :-)

(rsh/rlogin do still have much cleaner flow control than even SSH-2,
because of course there's no buffering for encryption or compression.
Using SSH-2 makes me reminiscent of using high speed modems, especially
the early MNP ones that didn't have options to flush their buffers when
various interrupt characters were sent from the terminal....)

> |> (or use TCP Wrappers) on every single host on the inside.....
>
> I prefer xinetd, but the idea is the same.

NetBSD includes TCP Wrappers built-in to the system inetd.  With all the
bugs and even recent exploited security holes in xinetd I prefer the
good old standard inetd.  :-)

--
							Greg A. Woods