Subject: Re: sun4d support, I've got a SPARCserver 1000
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Kjetil B. Thomassen <kjetilbt@thomassen.priv.no>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/10/2001 14:27:55
I have been given a SPARCserver 1000 with 4 CPUs amd 384 MB of RAM.
Probably a lot of disc as well, but I can't remember how much. The box was
fully operational running as a test server before it was taken out of use
yesterday. It was running Solaris 2.6. It is very heavy, so shipping would
probably be expensive.

At present I don't have an Internet connection into my house, and at work
I am behind a firewall, so I can't make this available to the public.
There are three alternatives there:
1) Put it in a server housing environment and pay for that. KPNQwest has a
   good facility in my area, but it cost a lot of money.
2) Get an ADSL line and hook it up there. This will require some initial
   investments and a monthly fee.
3) Find someone with an Internet connection who a willing to have it on
   their local network.

The main reason I accepted this box was to be able to help the NetBSD
Project, as I suspect that these boxes are rare.

I am based in Asker, outside Oslo, Norway, so if anyone knows anything
that could help in getting this one available for someone to port NetBSD
to it, please let me know.

I also have an SS2 at home, nd this is at present running 1.5 and is my
main server, so at least I have a self build environment.

I will give it/lend it to someone on the condition that it is being used
for actively developing NetBSD.

I found the following article:

> Subject: Re: sun4d support
> To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
> From: DP <dp@recycled.net>
> List: port-sparc
> Date: 12/02/2000 15:44:23
>
> iirc the trick in supporting them was the xdbus stuff they have - the
> frontplane-to-backplane stuff or somesuch.
>
> dan

Is this going to be a problem with documentation or otherwise?

Personally, I don't have much time or competence in this sort of stuff,
but if anyone makes code available, I will test it.

My ss2 is already acting as a boot server for NetBSD/arm26 and arm32, so
getting another platform up and running should be piece of cake. At least
when I get this beast of a box transported home. :-)

If I have wasted your time, then I aplogize!

TIA!

Kjetil B.
mailto:kjetil@thomassen.priv.no
http://www.thomassen.priv.no/