Subject: Re: Net Install?
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Julian C. Dunn <jdunn@aquezada.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/02/2001 19:15:30
On 01-Jul-2001 Ragga Muffin wrote:

> Michael M Delaney <mmdst23+@pitt.edu> wrote:
>> Hey,
>> has anyone here tried to do a network install from a Linux box?  I'm
>> having a lot of troble getting rarp to work right, any suggestions?
>
> I've net-installed 2 sparcs using a linux server (Debian/woody).
> My experience was that you need fairly recent versions of rarpd (userland)
> and bootparamd for this to work.
> Don't bother trying old versions or the kernel rarpd.
                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

i.e. do not try doing it with a Linux box running a 2.4-series kernel. The
arp/rarp stuff doesn't work properly, in that when the kernel sends a rarp
response to the client, for some reason it doesn't get properly recorded in the
arp table, so then when it comes time to send the bootfile, it starts sending
out superfluous arp who-is packets on the network.

- Julian

[   Julian C. Dunn - jdunn@aquezada.com * WWW: http://www.aquezada.com/    ]
[ FuE exfe94 a+++ Ifte/slc lonca r- ps++ bs+ t++/*t C+++$/C! w+++ p7 LF+++ ]
[N++/N! cd350 pr++ g+++ S-/S *x++ Fa+++/Fa$/Fa! m1 b+ fc+++/ E>+ rl-- *d s!]
[        "a thousand compromises don't add up to a win" - aimee mann       ]