Subject: re: 64 bit gcc 2.95.3; is it usable?
To: Rob Healey <rhealey@norstar.com>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/29/2001 21:05:21

[ i don't recall seeing answers to this. ]

   	I'd like to use gcc 2.95.3 to generate 64 bit executables under
   	Solaris.

   	NetBSD's sparc64 gcc obviously creates these and I was
   	wondering what, if any, problems there would be if I created
   	a gcc with a target of sparcv9-sun-solaris2.8?

   	If I don't use optimization will the 2.95.3 compiler work? Do
   	I need to add additional flags to compiles?

   	Since NetBSD/sparc64 is ELF I'm assuming it would have similar
   	issues to Solaris.

netbsd/sparc64's compiler is heavily hacked from the FSF version,
mostly by mycroft, to fix several serious bugs, leaving only several
dozen remaining. :-)  i wouldn't trust the 2.95.3, or 3.0, from FSF
to create 64 bit sparc binaries safely.  i'm told that "red hat" gcc
(the `2.96' thing) supposedly works well for sparc64 (but i was
unable to bootstrap it), and that gcc-current should (but i was also
unable to bootstrap it.)

64 bit & sparc & gcc doesn't seem to mix well right now.