Subject: Re: [entropy@tappedin.com: Help with YP]
To: None <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@tappedin.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/29/2001 02:14:08
>Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 20:52:55 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
>
>On Thu, 28 Jun 2001, maximum entropy wrote:
>
># >What's ypwhich -m say?
>#
># It lists all the maps in zippy.local:/var/yp (except shadow.byname)
># and shows the server as zippy.local.
>
>What's it say on zippy?

Same thing.

># >You may have to run a 'ypinit -s zippy' on your Sol7 client.
># >You may also need to make good'n'sure that your sol7 client is actually
># >binding to your master.
>#
># I don't want the Solaris machine to be a slave server.  I want it to
># be a client.  And my NetBSD slave server isn't seeing the
># shadow.byname map either, so I don't think making the Solaris machine
># a slave would make any difference.
>
>D'oh!  I meant 'ypinit -c', not 'ypinit -s zippy'.  Dammit, sorry!

Yes, I did 'ypinit -c' when initially setting up the SOlaris client
(and a couple more times for good measure).

># I'm sure it's binding to the master; the bootup looks fine, and I can
># "ypcat" any map from the server.
>
>...modulo shadow.byname

Right.

>Try restarting ypserv.

Done that; I've restarted ypserv and ypbind on the master multiple
times and it still doesn't see the new map.

>I thought I send-pr'd the problem; perhaps not.  You may want to send-pr
>it as a bug.

It just doesn't feel like a bug...I'm a novice with YP and and I'm
sure I've just missed something obvious that everybody else knows.