Subject: Re: New to the club...
To: Sebastian Marius Kirsch <skirsch@moebius.inka.de>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/18/2001 12:33:49
On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Sebastian Marius Kirsch wrote:

# On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 01:14:36PM -0700, Greywolf wrote:
# > If you rip out the floopy drive, you can theoretically put a second
# > drive in the top half of the case.  We used to do it with IPXen all
# > the time (3-port SCSI ribbon-style cable required).
#
# You can?

Yep.  Been there.  Done it with 2 404MB drives.  No issues.  Even tacked
stuff onto the OTHER side of the SCSI connector (i.e. externally).

# As far as I know, the scsi connection in an IPX is not part of
# the scsi bus, but is just a piece of ribbon cable *off* the scsi
# bus. (Which you can easily see from the fact that the hard disk is not
# supposed to be terminated, and the terminators are on the motherboard.)
# Sun is stretching the scsi specs with this, and it is only inside the
# specs because they keep the cable shorter than 10cm. I definitely don't
# think putting a longer cable with a second hard drive on it is within
# the specs.

Maybe not, but it worked!  Remember:  spec is the MINIMUM you can expect.

# This sentence no verb.

[love that one]

				--*greywolf;
--
Microshaft:  Where do you want to crash today?