Subject: Re: making old sparcs run fast
To: Volker Borchert <bt@insiders-fs.com>
From: Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/01/2001 14:26:05
On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 05:38:44PM +0200, Volker Borchert wrote:

> |> can i disable ipv6 completely.
>
> Dunno. grep -i the init scripts for v6 and then read up the manpages
> for the commands near the occurences.

/etc/rc.d/network uses ifconfig to see if ipv6 is in the kernel and
configures it if it's there.

I don't put ipv6 in my kernels, so this part fails and that takes care
of it for me.

> Huh? I measured on a SS2 with two internal disks and 64 MB RAM once.
> Depending on disk acitivity, it consumed 30...40 watts, which is less
> than many Pentium-ish systems will use for the CPU alone.

I was surprised to hear anyone thought an SS anything used a lot of power.

When my main server (SS5 with 4 hard drives, tape drive, and 160MB of
RAM) fires up it doesn't even register on the power-level of my 1920VA
UPS.

Now, when my Athlon system fires up, it takes 1/3 the UPS capacity.

This is why I like keeping everything but my main workstation a small,
headless system.

--
UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza__________________________________shannon@widomaker.com