Subject: Help: dhclient on SS4 fails with bus error?
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: John D. Baker <jdbaker@blkbox.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/31/2001 17:11:46
My brother was recently given a SPARCstation 4 setup and I've been trying
to help him get NetBSD 1.5 up on it.

Actually, NetBSD installs and runs just fine.  The only problem is that
DHCP is absolutely required to get it on his network (cable modem).

As the Subject: says, when trying to initialize the network via 'dhclient',
it indicates that it has transmitted the DHCPDISCOVERY packet, etc., and
then terminates with a bus error.

(I will have to retrieve log files or switch to serial console to
retrieve the exact messages.)

Configuration of 'le0' manually via ifconfig to a static IP succeeds, but
I cannot be sure that it (the interface, etc.) works because there is no
other isolated network to which to attach it.

Has anyone else experienced this, or a similar problem?  If so, are there
any clues to getting dhclient to configure 'le0'?

Thanks.

--
John D. Baker                                       I hear, and I forget.
jdbaker@NoSpAm!blkbox.com                          I see, and I remember.

P.S., I installed and regularly use NetBSD 1.5 on a SPARCbook 3GX, but I
have not yet tried using 'dhclient' to configure its ethernet via DHCP.