Subject: Re: Microtek scanner device
To: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
From: Aristide Aragon <zuri@busa.lionking.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/28/2001 00:59:30
> To create the device file:
> cd /dev
> ./MAKEDEV ss0

That worked, thanks a lot. I sugest that be added to the documentation, since I did look for it (for instance the Printing and scanning howto) and didn't find it. Since it says NetBSD "generates" a dev file called ss (that may be in another document though) I thought makedev was a Linux thing or something (I've been workng with Linux, and a bit with FreeBSD but I never needed to create devices in FreeBSD).

> As for your scanner responding on multiple luns, it may need a quirks
> table entry (a way of providing a work-around for hardware which behaves
> oddly).
<SNIP>
> If that helps, please let us know, so the entry can be added in the
> source tree. Thanks.
> 							David

Unfortunately I don't hve the source tree, I'm just using a generic kernel.
I have only 2 Gb of Hard disk space (I HAD to upgrade the 200 Mb that came with the machine), and a 25 Mhz processor. Getting and compiling sane-frontends (which I ddn't have to if I'm going to use the machine as a scan server, but I wanted for testing) took about 12 hours. I can only imagine how long it'd take to compile a kernel...
If the Multiple LUNs doesn't affect me negatively (it didn't under Windoze or Linux) then I prefer not recompiling.

Thanks again!

Aristide