Subject: Re: Boot miniroot
From: Julian Coleman <jdc@coris.demon.co.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/24/2001 12:09:11
> I am trying to reinstall 1.5 on a SS5 box.  There are two internal disks
> (/dev/sd{0,1}) and one external disk (/dev/sd2).  My root and swap are on
> /dev/sd1{a,b}.  I dd the downloaded miniroot.fs to /dev/sd1b in single user
> mode, but I cant boot it to get into the installation script.  I use "boot
> disk1:b netbsd -s" in prom, but it says there is no such file.
>
> Is this the right prom command?  Or, is there another way to start the
> installation script?  Thanks.

I would have expected this to work - normally "sd1" is SCSI id 1 and "disk1"
is also SCSI id 1.  You might need to check the mapping between the SCSI
id's and what the PROM thinks.  Can you look at the output of `dmesg` to see
which SCSI id disk sd1 has?  If it is id 1, then it could be that there is a
mapping in the PROM so that "disk1" is actually a different SCSI id.  If all
that is correct, it could be that something has gone wrong when you copied
the miniroot to the swap partition.  Did you follow the instructions in the
sparc install document?

                    My other computer also runs NetBSD
                          http://www.netbsd.org/