Subject: fp disabled trap, IPC
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: John Towler <jtowler@pconline.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/22/2001 21:22:06
I have a number of times encountered kernel panics along the lines of
the following while running NetBSD 1.{4.[23],5,5.1}.

Trap type 0x4:	pc= 0xf000ab94
		npc=0xf0000ab98
		psr=4010c2<EF,S,PS>

kernel: fp disabled trap stopped in sh
	at special_fp_store+0x18: std %f2, [%o0+0x8]

This one was encountered running NetBSD-1.4.3 (11-02/4-2000 snapshot)
whilst doing a make build in the background of the 12-4 src tree.

or

 Panic: fp exception, FPU disabled
			or EF bit set to 0, but FPU disabled

with a system crash and it drops you into the PROM.

Is this kind of thing specific to my box, (the IPC is old, perhaps a
hardware problem?) or does this happen to others?  What do I need to
understand about how NetBSD intends things to be done to solve this
problem.  The src tree is not so very small, where ought I to begin
looking to see how this fpu-disabled-trap is set up and such so that I
can better recover from the possible sources of this type of problem.

			Thanks,
			John Towler