Subject: Re: making old sparcs run fast
To: None <fender@earthling.net>
From: Peter Eisch <peter@boku.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/21/2001 11:02:52
> if you are intending to use it for ip/nat with a modem
> you'll be disappointed with the serial line speed which only goes up to
> 33Kbs(?) so wont saturate a 56k modem.

I ran this way at home for two years.  Knowing that my serial port speed
wasn't as fast as it could have been nagged at me for a while so I spent too
much time and money to learn that the magma cards don't work in 1.4[.{123}]
or 1.5.  I've tried both old and new revs of the Magma 2+1 Sp cards.

I never tried with an earlier version and I know the web page says it works,
but it just doesn't and I never had time to mess with it.  If it did work it
could provide a 115k (or faster) serial port suitable for an external ISDN
TA as well.

> as other people have suggested, ifyou
> have a dsl router with an ethernet port you wont have these probs.

I have a classic (16M RAM/200M disk) in a commercial setting doing just this
thing.  I was able to support sustained throughput at >3Mb/s for 8 hours
with ttcp testing.  The 3Mb/s limit was likely do to 10bT speeds and not the
box.  Never had a problem with it though the owner wonders why that box
works but products sell for so much more.

peter