Subject: Re: making old sparcs run fast
To: Brian Hechinger <wonko@tmok.com>
From: Sam Wilson <swilson@numbsafari.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/21/2001 11:56:46
I'm running in the same configuration (70Mhz sparc5, 90MB RAM)... the only
slow part in the box happens to be the ancient 1GB disk I've got in
there... but that doesn't really affect packet routing ;-).

I'm able to fully saturate my 1.5 ADSL no problem, and I haven't seen any
issues with network lag.

The only recommendation I can make is that if you live in an
electrically-impaired community you may want to consider a less voracious
consumer of wattage. My SS5 not only sucks juice, but it also kicks out a
bit of heat. Luckily the temperatures have remained fairly cool here in PA
so I'm able to use nature as my A/C. I know a number of people who have
switched to some of the LinkSys stuff for that job and are quite happy.
It's not NEARLY as fun to play with as a SS5 (which is why I'm still
running mine ;-)), but if it's a concern in your town (or pocketbook), you
may want to explore those options.

sw