Subject: Re: making old sparcs run fast
To: Grant Beattie <Grant.Beattie@fulcrum.com.au>
From: Shannon <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/16/2001 20:31:08
On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 10:47:38AM +1000, Grant Beattie wrote:

> > I thought NetBSD was not working on the 170MHz CPU... did you have to do
> > anything special?
>
> Nope - just installed from netboot/nfs, no hassles at all.
>
> I've just copied the libs from a Solaris 7 box into /emul/svr4 and now i'm
> using the Solaris version of 4.76 - seems pretty good so far.

How about SunOS libraries?

I've been unable to get setiathome to work under NetBSD, and they never
answer my email about a port or the sources for doing one.

> > If you've had both, is the 170 significantly faster than the
> > 110MHz microSPARC CPU?
>
> I've never used the 110, but the 170 is certainly much faster than the old
> 70's and 85's. :-)

Uh, yeah... :)

I would like to replace my 110 because the 170 is a decent jump up
if the price is right. I just don't want to get another machine arch
because this one runs forever and is so simple.

> > Then again, maybe the docs are outdated or something.
>
> It appears they are. Could you point me to where this documentation is and I
> will fix it.

I spent some time trying to find it, and I can't. In fact, I found a
reference saying the TurboSPARC went into -current some time ago It's.
possible it was a Sun hardware FAQ or something else I read But, if I.
should find out otherwise, I'll get back to you.

--
______________________/ armchairrocketscientistgraffitiexenstentialist