Subject: RE: making old sparcs run fast
To: Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
From: Grant Beattie <Grant.Beattie@fulcrum.com.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/16/2001 10:47:38
Shannon,

> > NetBSD 1.5/ss5(170mhz)/Netscape4.76(SunOS4)
>
> I thought NetBSD was not working on the 170MHz CPU... did you have to do
> anything special?

Nope - just installed from netboot/nfs, no hassles at all.

I've just copied the libs from a Solaris 7 box into /emul/svr4 and now i'm
using the Solaris version of 4.76 - seems pretty good so far.

> If you've had both, is the 170 significantly faster than the
> 110MHz microSPARC CPU?

I've never used the 110, but the 170 is certainly much faster than the old
70's and 85's. :-)

> I've seen the 170s fairly cheap, but was told that because they are a
> different CPU family and motherboard, NetBSD wasn't really ready for
> them yet.
>
> Then again, maybe the docs are outdated or something.

It appears they are. Could you point me to where this documentation is and I
will fix it.

thanks,
g.