Subject: RE: making old sparcs run fast
To: Grant Beattie <Grant.Beattie@fulcrum.com.au>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/15/2001 22:12:05
On Wed, 16 May 2001, Grant Beattie wrote:

# Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 10:47:38 +1000
# From: Grant Beattie <Grant.Beattie@fulcrum.com.au>
# To: Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
# Cc: port-sparc@netbsd.org
#
# Shannon,
#
# > > NetBSD 1.5/ss5(170mhz)/Netscape4.76(SunOS4)
# >
# > I thought NetBSD was not working on the 170MHz CPU... did you have to do
# > anything special?
#
# Nope - just installed from netboot/nfs, no hassles at all.

I've done this one from netboot, cdboot, floopies, doing nfs install,
ftp install and cdrom install.

The one currently experiencing the problems is the sun4u (the UltraSPARC)
line, and I can testify that the effort is going as well as it can
considering the apparent lack of manpower on the port.

# > If you've had both, is the 170 significantly faster than the
# > 110MHz microSPARC CPU?
#
# I've never used the 110, but the 170 is certainly much faster than the old
# 70's and 85's. :-)

...and compared to a 40, ohhhh, _MAN_!

				--*greywolf;
--
*BSD:  We come in peace.  We offer reliability.