Subject: Re: 2 RAIDFrame Questions
To: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@burghcom.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/13/2001 14:35:25
On Fri, May 11, 2001 at 10:22:03PM -0400, Brian A. Seklecki wrote:

> Platform: sparc/1.5-RELEASE/custom kernel with RAIDFrame support
>
> 1) Do I needs to NEWFS filesystems on my RAID disks after I disklabel them
> with FSTYPE "RAID" ?  If I don't, the initial raidctl -C just complains
> that /dev/sd#c is not clean, but it seems to work fine.  Able to newfs and
> mount the RAID device fine if I don't.

You don't need to newfs it; data will be destroyed by raidctl -C anyway.
raidctl -C complains that component are not clean because the raidframe header
in each component has not been initialised yet. Should work fine after
that.

> 2) Also, if I _do_ NEWFS the filesystems on my disks before I raidctl -C
> them, the FSTYPE seems to reset it's to 4.4BSD?  What's up with that?

The partition type for FFS is 4.2BSD. If you put a FFS on a partition
it's normal to have the type set to 4.2BSD.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>