Subject: Re: making old sparcs run fast
To: ali \(Anders Lindgren\) <dat94ali@ludat.lth.se>
From: Tim Walls <tim.walls@pa.press.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/04/2001 03:56:14
On Thursday, May 3, 2001, at 09:08 PM, ali ((Anders Lindgren)) wrote:

> On Thu, 3 May 2001, Tim Walls wrote:
>
>> do my poor old Classic no harm at all (hell, it might even be able to
>> manage a web browser with the 170MHz Sparc in it ;-)
>
> The above also applies to running the official Solaris version
> of Netscape
> on a 4x450MHz Ultra80 with 4G of RAM and X11:ing the (8bpp)
> display home
> over a local 10Mbit ethernet. It's still painfully slow (and
> netscape 4.77
> crashes even worse than mozilla 0.8 did).
>
> What browser do other port-sparc users out there run on their sparcs?

Depressing, innit?  I use my Classic for everything except web browsing,
for which an old laptop running Windows & Opera suffices.  (Not
tried the
Unix ports of Opera yet, but judging by the performance of the Windows
version it could be a good candidate for a decent lightweight browser if
they could be convinced to produce a NetBSD/Sparc build.  Yeah,
fat chance...)

Actually, on my NetBSD/i386 workstation at work, I've taken to using the
Konqueror browser with KDE2 and it's surprisingly good.  (As an
OpenLook bigot
it pains me somewhat to admit using KDE, but times change...)
The thought of
even trying to build KDE2 on my Sparc gives me a headache, though.

(Actually, if I really want to do any web browsing from home I take my
PowerBook G4/MacOS-X home and use OmniWeb, but I only mention
that because I'm
feeling insecure about my home computer being so underpowered <grin>.)

Cheers,
Tim.

--
Tim Walls