Subject: Re: making old sparcs run fast
To: ali \(Anders Lindgren\) <dat94ali@ludat.lth.se>
From: Tim Franklin <tim@pelican.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/03/2001 21:49:48
On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 10:08:47PM +0200, ali (Anders Lindgren) wrote:

> The above also applies to running the official Solaris version of Netscape
> on a 4x450MHz Ultra80 with 4G of RAM and X11:ing the (8bpp) display home
> over a local 10Mbit ethernet. It's still painfully slow (and netscape 4.77
> crashes even worse than mozilla 0.8 did).
>
> What browser do other port-sparc users out there run on their sparcs?

Similar to your U80 example, I run Netscape 4.something on a 2 x Pentium
166 Linux box displayed back to my SS2 if I need a graphical web browser.
(This makes more sense than it sounds - the x86 box has a *really* poor
video card and is off elsewhere doing server duties, the SS2 is my
workstation).

It seems quite usuable - not fast, mind, but usuable, even on fairly
large docs like the Java APIs.

I had NS 3.x running under SunOS emulation on an SS2 a long time ago, which
was useful at the time, but I think the web has become much fatter since
then :(

Regards,
Tim.