Subject: Floppy install problem
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: J Ramos <JRAMOS2@nc.rr.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/03/2001 23:21:31
I know that this is a run of the mill question, and I have checked the
archives on it, but I really haven't seen a definitive response. When
trying to load the installer via floppy so I can ftp install, I get the
following errors:

ok boot
floppy
Boot device: /fd   File and
args:
Can't read disk
label.
Can't open Sun disk label
package
Can't open boot
device

ok

Does anyone know why? I made the boot floppies using the instructions in
the INSTALL.html doc from ftp.netbsd.org in the sparc directory. Got the
gzipped file, unzipped it, used:

dd if=disk1.fs of=/dev/rfd0a bs=36k

Only thing I can figure is that something isn't kosher about doing it in
FreeBSD or Debian. I honestly have no clue as to why this is happening.
The disk is fine, AFAIK. My Sun is a Sparc 2, pretty much standard,
using a serial console to access it. Heck, I got that machine for the
explicit purpose of a) learning Sun systems better and b) learning
NetBSD. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I'm open to
suggestions ( you guys are bound to know way more about it than I do.)

Thanks again,
Josh Ramos

--
- Josh Ramos, JRAMOS2@nc.rr.com