Subject: Re: making old sparcs run fast
From: Julian Coleman <jdc@coris.demon.co.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/03/2001 17:03:24
> Looks quite interesting - does anyone have any experience of actually
> buying/using their stuff (esp. w/NetBSD!!)  A new motherboard would
> do my poor old Classic no harm at all (hell, it might even be able to
> manage a web browser with the 170MHz Sparc in it ;-)

At work, we're running NetBSD on an IPC upgraded with a Cycle 5 board.  They
are actually mentioned on the port-sparc web page under "Supported System
Models". ;-)

Only oddities I can think of - `shutdown -p` doesn't work with the upgrades
for the older machines (no 'soft' power supply) and you can't get both the
30pin SIMM's and the internal speaker in the IPC upgrade ;-)

> Couldn't get their online store to work though, so dunno about
> the prices...

I seem to remember that they're not cheap (I sent a message sometime last
year with a rough price) - you're probably looking at at least $1000.  Get
a second hand Sparc 5 instead?

PS.  Cycle merged with Tadpole/RDI a few months ago.

--
                    My other computer also runs NetBSD
                          http://www.netbsd.org/