Subject: Re: memory for IPC
To: Chris Jones <chris@cjones.org>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@slk.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/01/2001 17:23:26
On Tue, 1 May 2001, Chris Jones wrote:

> I'm considering getting a cheap Sparc to act as a web server.  On
> eBay, there's a lot of 3 SPARCStation IPCs for about $10, but they
> have no RAM.  What kind of RAM do these guys need, and how available
> is it?

From the sun hardware faq:

    SPARCstation IPC (4/40)
        Processor(s):   MB86901A or LSI L64801 @ 25MHz, 13.8 SPECint92,
                        11.1 SPECfp92, 327 SPECintRate92, 263
                        SPECfpRate92
        CPU:            501-1689/1835/1870/1974 (1690?)
        Chassis type:   lunchbox
        Bus:            SBus @ 25MHz, 2 slots
        Memory:         48M physical; 64K write-through cache,
                        direct-mapped, virtually indexed, virtually
                        tagged, 16-byte lines
        Architecture:   sun4c
        Notes:          Code name "Phoenix". 1M or 4M x 9 30-pin 100ns
                        SIMMs, three banks. Onboard mono frame buffer.
                        1.44M 3.5" floppy. First supported in SunOS
                        4.0.3c.

30 pin simms are usually pretty easy to score for a few bucks.  The 4M
simms are the only way to go if you want any serious amount of RAM in it,
although I have heard of people ripping out their hair in certain
circumstances to get the 4M simms to work.  I don't have any personal
experience with them, so YMMV...

Hope this helps,

-
Jon
 "'The chicken,' it's been said, 'is just an eggs way of making more
  eggs.'" -- Alton Brown