Subject: Console for an IPC...
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Rafael Alejandro Hinojosa <hinojosa@cs.swarthmore.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/30/2001 21:20:04
Hello everyone,

I've done this before on my SPARCstation LX but now I've seemed to have
forgotten just what to do.  The deal is I have this SPARCstation IPC from
work that they have decided to get rid of.  So I asked, and they gave it
to me.  They suspect that the HD is bad, but I figure I can always replace
it, eventually.

Anyway, I'd like to see if I can get access to it.  Since I don't have a
13w3 monitor nor an adapter, I thought about using Zterm on a Mac to
connect to it via serial cable.  But, I've seemed to have forgotten just
exactly what to do or specify to get console text/access to appear.

If any of you know any good sites that will provide me any information on
this topic, please let me know.  I've looked over some of the links on the
NetBSD SPARC port page, but came up empty-handed.

Another question I have is about the OS that the IPC was/is running.  It
probably ran Solaris something, and might still have it installed (if the
disk is still working).  Is it possible to use console access over serial
cable is the IPC might have an OS installed?  Or, do I have to somehow
enable console over serial in some configuration file?  If this is the
case, will console over serial work if I unplug the HD?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Web links would also be helpful.

Thanks,

--Raf

Rafael Alejandro Hinojosa