Subject: Re: Installing from floppy
To: Aristide Aragon <sparc@busa.lionking.org>
From: Paul \(NCC/CS\) <pts@bom.gov.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/19/2001 17:45:25
Aristide,

I haven't got much of what you need but:

Aristide Aragon wrote:

> Hello
>
> I'm absolutely new to Netbsd and to the Sun architecture.
> I'm trying to install NetBSD to a SunIPC station that I just got, I tried to follow the instructions in the Install.html file, but wasn't able since I didn't find the set_name.xx files, not even the /Split directory (I downloaded from netbsd.org, the whole sparc subdirectory).
> I'm downloading the CD ISO Image now I have a few questions, though.

haven't installed from floppy ever, someone  else to help you

> When booting into the PROM I get many error messages, that may suggest the machine is broken (or maybe just that it's battery, if it has one, has died). The most intriguing are:
> Incorrect configuration checksum, I get this right after the "Starting Real time clock"
> Ethernet address ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff, Host ID ffffffff. I really don't think the computer uses the broadcast ethernet address to receive, so there must be something wrong. My theories are software will later change that address to something logical or the built in NIC had some info stored in EPROM and it somehow died. Can I fix that?
>
> The IDPROM contents are invalid
>
> Those are the messages that look like a hardware problem. Can somebody help?

I dug these out from old mail. should only be a total problem now if
you need to install over network :

Yes, your NVRAM battery is dead, and it needs to be replaced. But, you can
survive without it, but then you have to reset some vital information
before you boot everytime the box looses power.

This just happened to my ss2, and I am waiting for a new chip from ELFA.
It should arrive any day soon.

I followed the procedure at:
http://www.squirrel.com/squirrel/sun-nvram-hostid.faq.html#GENERAL

and, I am now up and running it as a boot and DHCP server.

You will most certainly have to replace that chip, and that is explained
elsewhere on that page.

For future references, this page was found on the NetBSD/sparc
documentation pages.

I hope this will help you out!

Kjetil B.
mailto:kjetil@thomassen.priv.no
http://www.thomassen.priv.no/

and this was REALY helpful to me:

: I just briefly wrote some crappy values to the NVRAM like
: the web page suggests and the IDPROM err msg went
: away. BUT the same network problem still exists. I probably
: need to read the page alot more carefully but I just wanted
: to confirm that I must fix this NVRAM problem in
: order to fix the network problem?  yey/ney?

Yes.

Your Ethernet address needs to be in the form 08:00:20:AA:BB:CC (where AA,
BB, CC are up to you -- these are placeholders).  The following two commands
will set this value, for a given hexadecimal AA, BB, and CC:

ok 0 f mkp
ok 8 0 20 AA BB CC AABBCC mkpl
(press Ctrl-D then Ctrl-R; should return with "ok" prompt and NO Sun
copyright message)

You may also need:

ok setenv diag-switch? false

After that point, netbooting should be no problem.  The correct boot command
for the SS2 should be simply:

ok boot net

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  http://www.wasabisystems.com/

> I'm planing on using an external SCSI CD to install since floppied failed, will any SCSI CD do? I was thinking of using CD-R that I already have mounted into an external case, can I use that? Is that recommended?
> If everything fails, isn't there someway I could take out the HDD, conect it to my PC running Linux or FreeBSD and install from there? and then reinstall the HDD into the IPC box?
>
> Thanks in advance for the info you may provide
>
> Aristide Aragon

someone else better advise you about the cd also..

hope is some help

Paul.

Paul         (pts@bom.gov.au)
Senior IT Grade C