Subject: Re: Yay! (JS1 progress)
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/12/2001 21:09:05
On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 16:04:06 -0000, eeh@netbsd.org wrote:

> > I don't know any details, but my understanding is that there's still
> > an exercise to do in making a chimeric X server that renders to sun
> > framebuffer but reads from PC input devices.  Linux JavaStation HOWTO
> > has a pointer to Linux X bits, and those are likely to be directly
> > reusable.  Will see.
>
> Why would you ever want to do that?  SPARCs have a lovely
> abstraction for input and output devices.  You just fire up the X
> server and it works.  No selection of input devices.  No monitor
> timings.  No config files.

I don't know if he did the abstraction layer, I guess he brought it
to the point where text-mode console is usable.  Can't speak before
I've seen the code.

Hmm, checked programs/Xserver/hw/sun/sunKbd.c (from real X11, not
XFree), it seems they have provisions for pc keyboards for Solaris/x86.
Good.

SY, Uwe