Subject: Re: Using different start address for kernel?
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org, uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
From: None <eeh@netbsd.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/11/2001 15:03:40
	It's just danwed on me that OpenFirmware entry point on JS1
	is f003.381c and so our remapping exercises to map kernel
	to f000.0000 are probably stomping hard on it causing all
	the mess I've been spamming about for the last few days.

Gee, that's the same problem I had with sparc64.  Who would have
guessed 8^)

	This, naturally, raises a question: how hardwired f000.0000
	is and what address will be a good choice.

The kernel was originally somewhere around 0xf8000000, and then
was moved to 0xf0000000 to allow for larger kernel address space.
sparc64 started at 0xf0000000 and moved to 0xf1000000 before I
found firmware conflicts on some machines and moved it to its
current location of 0x1000000.

To relocate the kernel you need to:

	1) change KERNBASE to the new location

	2) frob the values in vmparam.h

	3) frob the values in param.h

	4) frob the value in Makefile.sparc

The only issue with moving the kernel is compatibility
with other machines, since they all run the same kernel.
This was not an issue with sparc64 since it does not use the
same kernel as 32-bit sparcs.

Eduardo