Subject: Re: lyx (was: xforms )
To: T. M. Pederson <salvage@plethora.net>
From: Greg MATTHEWS <G.Matthews@cs.ucl.ac.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/10/2001 11:11:12
hmmm... i think a kernel recompile may be necessary.... altho...

> a.out and ELF aren't incompatible, they're just different.  Supporting
> both makes the kernel larger, and for sparc a.out is assumed to use 1.4 or
> earlier syscalls.  The structures are different enough that you'll need
> a.out support to run even just the one binary.  (Although, I think it's
> statically compiled so that you don't need the libs.  I could be
> mistaken, though.)
>
> I don't know why just the one file is missing.  I asked the author, but
> never got an answer.
>
> >anyway - many thanks for your help, lyx is compiling away as i type. presume
> >it will be a while yet!
>
> Ah.  Is that the lyx-1.1.6 in pkgsrc-current?

yes i did a sup for pkgsrc current before i started the compile and left it
compiling when i went home. unfortunately... as you suggested in an earlier
mail, it choked with the following message... 'virtual memory exhausted'. how
annoying! is that a leak or will more swap space solve the problem? my classic
has 48MB in simms and the following swap:

potomac: {13} swapctl -lk
Device      1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Priority
/dev/sd0b      153916     1060   152856     1%    0

i would have thought that would be plenty...

ah well...

GREG