Subject: Re: lyx (was: xforms )
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: T. M. Pederson <salvage@plethora.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/10/2001 19:01:10
On "Tue, 10 Apr 2001 11:11:12 +0100", Greg MATTHEWS <G.Matthews@cs.ucl.ac.uk>
wrote:

>hmmm... i think a kernel recompile may be necessary.... altho...

GENERIC has a.out support....  Although, I really don't know how
often that particular utility is called.  I built a kernel with a.out
support just in case, but I've never checked to see if it actually
gets used.

[...]
>> Ah.  Is that the lyx-1.1.6 in pkgsrc-current?
>
>yes i did a sup for pkgsrc current before i started the compile and left it
>compiling when i went home. unfortunately... as you suggested in an earlier
>mail, it choked with the following message... 'virtual memory exhausted'. how
>annoying! is that a leak or will more swap space solve the problem? my classic
>
>has 48MB in simms and the following swap:
>
>potomac: {13} swapctl -lk
>Device      1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Priority
>/dev/sd0b      153916     1060   152856     1%    0
>
>i would have thought that would be plenty...

I have 512 Mbytes of swap (leftover from when the disk was used for
Solaris).  On the other hand, the build seems to be setting itself up
so that it can't swap out; the build fails when real memory is
exhausted.

You could try grabbing the pkgsrc tarball for the NetBSD 1.5 release.
It has lyx-1.1.2 (IIRC), and that should build okay.
--
T. M. Pederson <salvage@plethora.net>
PGP key fingerprint = 48 94 7A 54 59 B6 C0 77  1F F6 94 55 0C 55 51 C4