Subject: Re: xforms
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: T. M. Pederson <salvage@plethora.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/09/2001 21:14:36
On "Mon, 09 Apr 2001 13:56:47 +0100", Greg MATTHEWS <G.Matthews@cs.ucl.ac.uk>
wrote:

>yes - i did this and xforms installed with no problems at all. i'm a little
>confused tho as i thought a.out and ELF formats were incompatible...? does
>that mean that the actual fd2ps binary will only work if i have a.out
>compatability compiled into my kernel? i still dont understand why this
>package is shipped with this binary missing...

a.out and ELF aren't incompatible, they're just different.  Supporting
both makes the kernel larger, and for sparc a.out is assumed to use 1.4 or
earlier syscalls.  The structures are different enough that you'll need
a.out support to run even just the one binary.  (Although, I think it's
statically compiled so that you don't need the libs.  I could be
mistaken, though.)

I don't know why just the one file is missing.  I asked the author, but
never got an answer.

>anyway - many thanks for your help, lyx is compiling away as i type. presume
>it will be a while yet!

Ah.  Is that the lyx-1.1.6 in pkgsrc-current?
--
T. M. Pederson <salvage@plethora.net>
PGP key fingerprint = 48 94 7A 54 59 B6 C0 77  1F F6 94 55 0C 55 51 C4