Subject: Re: Does anyone know how to install a new / and /usr disk
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: T. M. Pederson <salvage@plethora.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/05/2001 20:02:39
On "Thu, 05 Apr 2001 20:46:02 -0400", Rebecca Ore <rebecca@ogoense.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 05 Apr 2001, T. M. Pederson wrote:
>
>> On "Thu, 05 Apr 2001 17:15:08 -0400", Rebecca Ore <rebecca@ogoense.net> wrot
>e:
>>
>> >while continuing to access information on present installation on
>> >another drive.  I will need to upgrade things in on the new hard drive
>> >which is at sd0.  A disk that was having problems is the former root
>> >disk at sd1, and the disk that I want to continue to use (my /news
>> >mount) is at sd2.
>>
>> Are you still booting from sd1?  Or is sd0 running something of a
>> copy of it now?
>
>At this point, I've got an install on sd0 and am seeing if mv will
>put things in sufficient order to overwrite what I need to overwrite.

I've had better results using pax.

>I forgot to make the directories on sd0 which would serve as the mount
>points for the things on sd1 and sd2, but fixed that now and can cd to
>everything.

That sounds about like what I'd do, and have done once or twice.  In a
situation kind of like that, what I did was boot from some other
device (net/tape/whatever), mount the trees on sd0 and sd1 relative to
/mnt and /mnt2 (respectively), and unpax the latest known good binary
tarballs in /mnt (sd0).  At that point, adjusting /mnt/etc/* to
replace /mnt2/etc/* should be relatively straightforward.
--
T. M. Pederson <salvage@plethora.net>
PGP key fingerprint = 48 94 7A 54 59 B6 C0 77  1F F6 94 55 0C 55 51 C4