Subject: Re: What does this message re sd (esp0:1:0) mean?
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: T. M. Pederson <salvage@plethora.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/05/2001 19:51:55
On "Fri, 06 Apr 2001 10:08:44 +0900", Henry Nelson <henry@irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp> wrote:

>> 'scsictl /dev/rsd0c format'
>
>> 'scsictl sd0 format'
>
>Which of these is correct, or will both work?  Will it make a difference
>on how scsictl treats the disk?  The man page is not explicit.  TIA.

You'll want /dev/rsd0c, generally.  scsictl will switch to "cooked"
mode (strip the 'r', and try again) if it hits a device where opening
it "raw" doesn't work.  I haven't read all the source, but it doesn't
look like either will will make much, if any, difference.  However,
it does look like raw is the preferred way.
--
T. M. Pederson <salvage@plethora.net>
PGP key fingerprint = 48 94 7A 54 59 B6 C0 77  1F F6 94 55 0C 55 51 C4